Empowering Lives, Building Resilience
Development stories from Europe and Central Asia
This publication features success stories from 16 countries where UNDP support has resulted in transformative changes, including by fostering the growth of institutional and human capacities.
To qualify as a transformational success, a story needed to demonstrate tangible and sustainable achievements, substantiated by data and personal testimonies. Since these depend on significant changes in institutions, attitudes and behaviours, which require long-term efforts, each story chronicles a development intervention that generally spans a 5-to-10-year period.
The success stories in this publication show how UND P has contributed to building the capabilities of government institutions, civil society and the private sector by providing seed funding, expertise and implementation support, and by bringing different parties together. Across the stories, several key factors emerge as critical to fostering long-term, transformational change. Foremost among these are: national ownership, capacity development, knowledge and innovation and partnerships.
Helen Clark's remarks at the publication launch of "Empowering Lives, Building Resilience" (New York, 17 January 2012)
Overview of stories
- Albania: A Mine-Free Road to Development
- Azerbaijan: A Pension System for the 21st Century
- Belarus: Embarking on a New Approach to Managing Resources
- Bulgaria: Job Opportunities through Business Support
- Croatia: Energy-Efficiency Programme Generates Huge Savings
- Georgia: Justice for All
- Kyrgyzstan: Reducing Harm from HIV
- Moldova: Vulnerable Youth and Women Make a Fresh Start
- Montenegro: Defence Reform Ushers in Greater Security
- Russia: Better Conservation for the Environment and the Economy
- Serbia: Opening Opportunities for People with Disabilities
- Tajikistan: Microfinance Targets the Rural Poor
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: Municipalities Cooperate to Deliver Better Services
- Turkey: Moving Towards Climate-Friendly Development
- Ukraine: Promoting Change at the Local Level
- Uzbekistan: Enhancing Livelihoods by Fostering Participation